Videos Now Available: Case Western Reserve University Colloquium on Building a Culture for Digital Scholarship
On November 7-8, 2011, Case Western Reserve University held the Freedman Center Colloquium on Building a Culture for Digital Scholarship. The colloquium addressed the nature and state of digital scholarship, the support and infrastructure necessary to ensure faculty and student success, the changes in the academic culture that are essential for digital scholarship to thrive, and new forms of scholarly communication that are underway or essential to exploit the advantages of digital scholarship.
The Colloquium was organized under the aegis of the Freedman Center of the Kelvin Smith Library, in collaboration with the College of Arts and Sciences, and University Information Technology Services.
A playlist listing all of the sessions is available at:
Below is a listing of the individual presentations, the names and affiliations of the speakers, and the URLs for each of the separate videos:
1. “Introduction to the Program.” Arnold Hirshon, Associate Provost and University Librarian, Case Western Reserve University
“Scholars and the Mind.” Dr. Laura Mandell, Professor of English and Associate Director of NINES, co-director of 18thConnect, and the director of the Initiative for Digital Humanities, Media, and Culture, Texas A & M University.
2. “Advancing Digital Scholarship.” Speaker: Stephen Chapman, Project Manager, Harvard Law School Library, Digital Lab. http://youtu.be/x19ojMr5k2E
3. “Cultural Change in Higher Education and Advanced Research: What We Are Learning.” Dr. Amy Friedlander, Senior Advisor in the Office of the Assistant Director of the Directorate for Social, Behavioral & Economic Sciences at the US National Science Foundation. http://youtu.be/281ytedJ7h4
4. “New Forms of Scholarly Communication.” Speaker: Dr. Neni Panourgia, Associate Professor of Anthropology, Columbia University, and affiliated faculty at the Institute for Comparative Literature and Culture, and the Harriman Institute. http://youtu.be/ttSouSIc0is
5. “Moving Forward: A Panel Discussion.” Panelists: Dr. Laura Mandell; Stephen Chapman; Neni Panourgia; Dean Cyrus Taylor (CWRU Arts and Sciences); Lev Gonick (CWRU Vice President for Information Technology Services). Moderator: Arnold Hirshon (CWRU Associate Provost and University Librarian) http://youtu.be/WXgrgP6E4Fk
For further information, please contact: Arnold Hirshon, Associate Provost and University Librarian, Kelvin Smith Library, Case Western Reserve University email@example.com 216-368-0688